This episode is a little different. It's basically a deep-dive episode, but it's a little more off-the-cuff than usual. Given the multitude of troubling events in the US news today, I wanted to give some thoughts and advice about dealing with the news and the state of the world. It can be exceptionally hard for someone with mental health issues to know what to do when the state of the world becomes overwhelming. I hope the thoughts that I present here help.
Here are a few tips:
1. Realize that no matter WHEN you hear about news or how much you worry about the event... those have absolutely no bearing on the fact that the event happened. In other words, the events are happening whether or not you already know about them.
2. Regulate your flow of information. Consider waiting to "plug in" to the world until you've gotten ready for the day and consider unplugging for at least an hour before you go to sleep.
3. Fight back against the false sense of immediacy that anxiety gives you.
4. Remember that you are allowed to feel, but not taking care of yourself may limit your ability to help or make a difference.
5. Taking good care of yourself allows you to funnel energy into action, which can make you feel less helpless.
Quick update: HUGE giveaway going on right now at duffthepsych.com/giveaway
Why hello there! This is a regular question and answer episode. Couple updates first:
1. The audiobook for Hardcore Self Help: F**k Anxiety has been updated and is WAY better. Check it out here: https://www.audible.com/pd/Self-Development/Hardcore-Self-Help-F-k-Anxiety-Audiobook/B00S8U7PKW
2. There are three free lessons from my course that you can check out without any signups required at http://kickanxietycourse.com
Here are the questions covered in this episode:
As always you can send me questions to email@example.com
This is a straightforward question and answer episode. First a couple updates:
I changed the free preview content that is available on http://kickanxietycourse.com. Now you can get three free lessons that cover defining anxiety, breathing strategies, and thinking traps. Good stuff.
The audiobook for F**k Anxiety will also be new and improved probably near the end of next week. I'll update again when the changes are processed.
Here are this week's questions:
As always you can send me your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
In this episode, I do something a little different. This is a highly requested deep dive episode into the topic of ASMR, or autonomous sensory meridian response. You know, those videos where people tap things and whisper on youtube? I used to make those videos. For almost 6 years, in fact.
I talk about what ASMR is and give examples from different videos. At the end, I even give you a bonus ASMR audio sample recorded by yours truly. Enjoy!
Here are the videos that I used samples from:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVyPFXdn0ME ASMR 1H OF TAPPING NO TALKING! more than 1 hour! by Chiara ASMR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9h94cOlXFRc ASMR 1 Hour Tapping | No Talking by ASMR Glow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOfN9ZOGXcA ASMR Purely Close Up Whispers | Ear to Ear by
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6-vAoDz008 ASMR Dmitri Talks about a Dream - Soft Spoken Voice by Massage ASMR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrKbOF3vHo8 Cranial Nerve Test with Pat LaFontaine & Dr. James Kelly by brainline
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgzmbwRNfmA Asheville Mall Manicure Nail Buff, Great Gift by Ask Asheville
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDZuaQ05Xso OLD ~ Cranial Nerve Examination Roleplay by Cutebunny992
Binaural Dual Trigger Sounds ASMR by me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEyR5dCQs60 [ASMR] Hearing Test Nurse (Soft Spoken) by GIBI ASMR